Another Escape – Volume 10: The Altitudes Volume
Another Escape is an outdoor lifestyle, creative culture and sustainable living publication that explores the stories of passionate people, alluring landscapes and intriguing ideas. We cover a disparate selection of subject matter all deep-rooted in exploration, creativity, innovation and discovery, and aim to be a a source of inspiration for those who seek an active and considered lifestyle by encouraging an optimistic, forward-thinking and responsible mindset.
The Altitudes Volume explores our innate fascination and appreciation for great heights. It discovers the profound effects precipitous landscapes can have on the human psyche; how they can inspire fear, elation, creativity, and spirituality, and incite bold pursuits and artistic practice. It unearths what we may learn when we push the limits of our human ability and earthly confines, and it observes how feeling small in big places can challenge our perspective on the world and our place in it. It uncovers cultures and communities harboured by the rugged folds of mountainous terrain and shaped by high altitudes, and it reflects on how even in the most trying of environments it is possible to live harmoniously with nature.
This volume includes
- Drawn Upwards: Our fascination with height, flight and all things skyward.
- On Foot: Mountain Running to Europe's Highest Village – Sweat, lactic acid, arduous terrain and breathtaking vistas in the Caucasus Mountains.
- The High Life: The composure, strength and mental endurance needed to perform the exhilarating sport of highlining.
- Mountains as Muses: How precipitous landscapes can inspire artistic practice.
- The Shifting Archetype: Finding Meaning in Mountains: The cultural significance of mountains and their influence on the human psyche.
- Small in Big Places: Pushing the limits of human ability and being creative in wild spaces.
- Scaling Lofty Heights: Discovering comfortability in the backcountry and the accessibility of mountain terrain.
- Sky Migrations: The natural wonder of North America’s flyways and the incredible birds that fly them.
- Save the Blue Heart of Europe: Long read: Our final chance to save Europe’s last remaining wild rivers.
- The Mountain Folk: A unique culture long fostered by its mountain surrounds.
- Of Mountains and Myths: The sculptural artworks helping to preserve the Ladin heritage.
- Peaks of Europe: Exploring a continent of wildly varied terrain and its vast ranges in altitudes.
- The Land of High Passes: A place rich in history and culture shaped by some of Central Asia’s great mountain ranges.
- Living at the Roof of the World: The steadfast lifestyle of the Chang-pa, the nomadic herdspeople of the Chang-thang plateau.
- Tsampa: Ancestral self-sufficiency and nourishment at high altitude.
- Learning from Ladakh: Lessons on sustainability, food sovereignty, and fostering an entwined relationship with nature.